OBSERVATIONS FROM THE COMMISSIONER
MID SEASON-issues that need attention
- Freeze coverage - fouls - non-ruling official(s) it is very
- Lead official, following a goal and end line throw-in going long
- official is often leading the play by 6-12 feet.
At times turning head to look back.
At times, prior to bouncing the ball, moving 5-8 feet on to the
- Not observing the free thrower or the player entering the lane
near the free thrower... free thrower is into the lane and the
defender is into the semi-circle and official does know it because
he/she has closed and is watching the ball.
- In transition, the new Lead is often running with back to
progressing play, rather than moving/running looking back over the
shoulder to assist with transition coverage.
- Lack of using voice more firmly....often not stating color.
and/or not stating the color sharply/crisply.
- Start all counts IMMEDIATELY....often late beginning.
- Time-outs granted prior to checking to learn if the time-out can
be granted.Two situations when time-out is often ILLEGALLY granted:
- after a goal and the opponent already has the ball at their
disposal - too late
- off-the ball official, granting time-out without checking
- Officials with hands in pockets - while in Pre-Game observation
- Be sure to get into Reporting Area....a bit of slackness showing
- Covering official, maintain observation of shooter up &
down...don't be concerned about the ball and basket...trust
partner(s) to provide that coverage.